Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Military Sex

Today, there was a new person in my bi-monthly massive meeting with a client in Irvine.  I noticed him, but didn't question who he might be.

As the meeting started, my client asked him to introduce himself and he explained that he was an intern with the company and was excited to learn about and eventually be part of the team.  I was sort of stuck on the word intern, because he appeared to be in his late 30s and was in a very nice business suit.  My mind was racing with possible explanations of why he had a position that college students usually hold.

As he went on and I tuned back in, he explained he was a Marine and had recently finished his duty and was now joining the workforce.  I have no idea why, but I started to tear up a little.  I was so proud of this complete stranger.

Then I realized I might cry amongst 30 other people in the room and needed a distraction.

I immediately remembered a Love Line episode where Psycho Mike went on a tirade about people jumping at any opportunity to sleep with a celebrity -- no matter who it was; ugly, old, out-of-date, overweight.  He was angry.  He pleaded with his audience that the people who deserved to be slept with, sight unseen (in a bar bathroom, even), were people fighting for our country.  It was hilarious.

Hearing Mike's jokes in my head dried up the tears quickly, but it also evoked a giggle.  Out loud.  During this poor man's introduction.

I was mortified.  I seriously considered giving the guy a hug to say sorry. Oh man.

No comments:

Post a Comment