Friday, December 8, 2017

Running Errands






























June and I went on an adventure to get coffee (and dog treats!) and run around the desert this morning.  On our way back into Mojave, there was a teeny woman on the side of the road trying desperately to drag two huge trash bags behind her.  Just as I noticed her, she turned around and seemed to look me right in my eyeballs, smiled and started waving at me.  I pulled over to see if I could help.

As I did, another car pulled over and a man and wife rolled down their window to say, "Thank you for stopping.  We had just turned around to help as well." They turned to the woman and said, "Also, we have a push cart if you think you can use it."

The woman smiled and said, "Yes, I'd love one - is it in your car, can I see it?"

They explained it was at home, but I could follow them to their house and pick it up for her.  Mojave is a small town, so I figured, why not...this will be quick.

The teeny woman explained to me that the Mobil gas station gives away food that is about to expire and she had walked from her house (about 2 miles) to pick up some snacks.  She just didn't expect they'd have two trash bags full.

After we followed the nice couple to their house to get the cart, she asked if I could swing by a house close by to pick up a piece of glass someone had offered her.

Again, small town...why not?

Then, without hesitation, she asked if we could stop by the CHP and the Sheriff's Station because she wanted to share some of the snacks with them.  So we stopped at both and she dug through her bags to pick out what she thought they might like: Swiss Cake Rolls for the CHP and Fruit Roll Ups and Chips for the Sheriff.  Seems about right.

I was amazed at her confidence in asking for multiple stops and just continued to be her chauffeur.

After dropping off snacks, she said, "Do you know where the Motel 6 is?  I dropped my laundry off this morning and it should be ready."

Sure, no problem.

We didn't say much to each other.  I asked how long she'd lived in Mojave and she asked how far along I was and if I wanted a maternity dress she had at home.  She explained it wasn't that pretty, but it would probably fit me.  And if I didn't want that, she was going to give me a dollar for helping her out.  I told her it wasn't necessary and asked if there was anywhere else she needed to go.

She thought for a moment and said, "Nope, that's it.  You can take me home now."

So I dropped her off and she gave me two boxed apple pies and a bag of Doritos and said, "Thanks.  God bless."

And June and I went home.

1 comment: