Thursday, July 8, 2010

It took 7 years.

There seems to always be a car accident somewhere in LA at any given moment. I suppose it's a numbers game...with that many cars, more opportunities for accidents.

Today I was one of them.
On the 405 Freeway, in the fast lane.

I was the last car hit in a 4 car pile-up. And quickly learned that sometimes, being fourth is a good thing.

There are many details about the accident, including the driver at fault who fled from his vehicle.
On foot.
Across FOUR lanes of traffic.

But the moment that made me smile?
Once I realized what had happened, I reached for my phone. It was an automatic reaction and I wasn't sure what number I was dialing. 911? Nope.

My mom.

I was suddenly 12 again and knew I needed to let her know I was OK. And possibly I wanted to hear her say that I was OK.

The 30-year-old me helped lead my fingers toward 9-1-1, but she was most definitely the next person I called.

1 comment:

  1. Talk about smiling.....not THAT made ME smile. And I hope you will always call me for life's little hiccups, surprises and celebraations...even when you're 50!

    ReplyDelete