Monday, July 5, 2010

Seat 2A

I sat next to a gentleman on my flight from Vegas to LA and he didn't say a word to me the whole time. However, after a late decision on a bloody mary, he was suddenly chatty.

He told me about his life and his travels and crazy stories about being a traveling construction/engineer. Through our entire conversation, I just assumed he was single and probably had been his entire life. At some point he mentioned his dog and I asked, "Who takes care of him when you're gone for such long periods?"

Without pause, he said, "My wife."
I nodded and it was suddenly quiet.
His eyes sort of smiled and he looked straight ahead at the seat in front of him and said, "She's a real special lady."

He seemed to be going over images in his head and just grinned.
So sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment