Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Please, you first...

Walking home today, I was approaching a crosswalk that has an immediate response when you hit the button. Basically, as soon as you hit it, lights start flashing and you're permitted to walk.

There was an older gentleman standing at the crosswalk reaching for the button and I noticed he hesitated. As soon as he realized I would be crossing too, he THEN leaned forward and pressed the button.

We sort of walked together across the street headed towards a coffee shop. He slowed his step just slightly and let me enter first (holding the door for me) and I got to order my coffee first. We never really made eye contact and his actions felt like second nature as opposed to overly showy.

Man, it's the small things. Totally made my morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment