Tuesday, March 16, 2010

An evening of laundry and love.

First of all, there is something so great about $20 worth of quarters clanging against the change machine. It reminds me of being 12 years old at Starbucks (our local arcade in Orlando...before the frappucino was invented) and watching the tokens pile up in the machine. Each one representing one more game of skee ball I'd get to play.

Yay, skee ball.

The quick trip back to tokens and prize tickets always makes laundry a little better. But tonight, the little old man who closes up, made my day.

I started laundry a little late and they have a very strict "last dryer run at 10pm" rule. I was pushing my luck as I filled my last load at 10:15, but knew I'd make it.

When I came back to grab my clothes at 10:50, I realized I had forgotten a load in the washer.

Dammit.

I threw them in a dryer hoping to at least get 10 minutes and not completely piss off the little old man. He passed by machine and noticing I had just started, gave me a bit of an evil eye. I assured him I'd take them out before 11.

There was a couple in the laundry mat with me and as soon as they left, I forced open the dryer, knowing I had to finish up.

The little old man came over and grabbed a pair of my jeans, shook his head and said, "Not dry yet. Put 'em back in. Take your time."

I was shocked.

I tried to explain it wasn't a big deal, but he insisted. So he turned up KOST 103.5 FM and we listened to love songs together while my laundry finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment