Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Breaking through

My yoga teacher usually has a quote he begins and ends his classes with. Today it was:

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” -- Rumi

He further explained that through yoga you open your body and start to remove those barriers and become more like a curious child excited about all the little joys of life. Even if only during class or immediately after. But every class you take, you slowly remove these barriers and catch yourself similar to that child -- "Mom, what's this? Ooooh, look at that! And this?! What is this? Mom, how does this work? Wow..did you see that?"

It's amazing how much that curious joy hides itself sometimes and I love being reminded to reach for it again.

At the end of the class during the deep relaxation, the guy in front of me starting snoring extremely loud. But we're all serious yogis, clearly, and we wouldn't dare laugh. I concentrated on my breath and almost couldn't hear the gurgling anymore. But then someone giggled. At first, I smiled a little and then remembered my breath. Moments later, another snicker. I couldn't help it...we both laughed together, but were able to quiet quickly and sort of laugh silently. I swear I could FEEL everyone else in the room smiling a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment