Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Face down, hands up.

Smart Phones are separating us as strangers. Bus stops and bars are filled with people face down, hands up...reading something super important on their hand-held devices. It's becoming less and less likely for small talk and random conversations with a new face.

However, lately, I've seen quite a few people put down their phones and engage with a stranger.

Four times this week, I've been at a stop light and seen someone ask a fellow car for directions. I'm not sure why, but that makes me feel like I live in a small town. Mostly because somewhere in life everyone must have been taught that it's bad manners to deny the eye-contact, motion-to-roll-down-your-window smile from a stranger.

I like that.

1 comment:

  1. I had a girl look at me like I was crazy when I did the roll down motion, then she took her foot off the brake so she could roll a little forward. I was lost and I thought she was so rude!

    ReplyDelete