Thursday, March 26, 2009

This would never happen at Albertson's

My boss has a rule when we're at restaurants. If anyone is singing Happy Birthday, we have to join in. It's actually a pretty great rule.

Today I was at Trader Joe's and a voice came over the loud speaker, "Attention Trader Joe's customers. Today is Patrick's birthday and we're all going to sing. The staff would appreciate it if you all join in."

Almost all of the staff headed right towards checkout stand number two carrying a birthday cake and balloons. They sang the crap out of Happy Birthday.

Unfortunately, the only people who followed my boss's rule (even though technically we were in a grocery store) were the two people standing in line at checkout and me, in isle three, sort of quietly to myself.

1 comment:

  1. This kind of made me sad...I thought for sure there was going to be this incredible "and then everyone sang along in perfect four-part harmony and held hands and then canceled the rest of their plans for the day and went to the beach and sang more songs"...or something.

    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete