Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Guess you had to be there.

I'm gonna do it. I'm going to quote John Mayer:
Didn’t have a camera by my side this time
Hoping I would see the world with both my eyes

I went to the Montalban Theater tonight to see Michel Gondry talk about his new DVD and then jam with Jon Brion and brief special guest Seth Rogen.
Blah. Blah. Blah.
Hollywood. Hollywood. Hollywood.
I realize I'm a lucky little lady to attend such a glamorous Hollywood affair with such talented people...but you could have too -- it was free.

And after having the guy behind me lean his entire body into me for two songs and the girl next to me use my head as a tripod...I migrated to the back of the crowd gasping for air and some sanity. The view from the back was lots of poofy-haired boys and cameras flailing everywhere. I truly couldn't believe the amount of people desperate to get the best shot to put on Facebook tomorrow. Was anyone REALLY watching?

All of that to say, that sometimes I need to be fully annoyed or frustrated to actually have a sunshine stick out.

On my way home, still sort of annoyed and realzing that I could indeed be "getting old", I pulled up to a stoplight with a homeless guy talking to himself. I was the only person at the light and I gave him a smile as we made eye contact and I quickly looked away. He walked all the way around my car and came back to my window, standing at a sort of respectful, safe distance.

He was motioning something with his hands and asking me a question. I just shook my head no assuming he was asking for money, but he was very persistent. He motioned to the back of my car and started using his fingers spelling out P-O-L....and then mimicked a perfect water polo throw. "Yooou play wat-er po-looo?"

My light turned green and all I could do was give him a huge smile and a nod. And to be quite honest, it was the biggest, most honest smile I'd offered anyone all day.

[In case you're not my mom, I DO play water polo and there's a sticker on the back of my car that MOST people mistake for a volleyball player]

No comments:

Post a Comment