Monday, April 20, 2009

Yes, it IS 92 degrees...but, um...this IS a desert.

It seemed that every conversation today included something like, "It's so hot." or "Can you believe this weather?" or "I need a bath full of ice."

When we have sudden heat waves in LA and people start to gripe, my first instinct is usually -- have you ever been to Florida in August?...get over yourself. But today all the weather talk just reminded me of a quote I always think of when a lull in conversation leads to someone mentioning the weather.

"Don't knock the weather. Without it, some people would have nothing to talk about."

Which at first glance, seems like the underlying statement here is -- some people are boring. But I think having a subject that is so universally common actually lends itself to starting up conversation with someone you normally wouldn't talk to. Ya know, the guy in the checkout line, the lady at the crosswalk or that guy in the elevator.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It's not the greatest basis for conversation, but it will get the job done in a pinch. When you CAN'T talk about the weather, that's when a real problem exists.

    ReplyDelete