Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Movies that effect you to the core

I watched the movie Towelhead tonight and had no idea what I was in for. I thought it was going to be about some unwanted racism in the South. Which, indeed, was included in the movie. But there were SO MANY other elements to this movie about a 13 year-old girl.

I actually almost turned it off a couple times. Not because of the quality of the film but because of the intensity.

About halfway through the movie, a new character is introduced played by Toni Collette. She was, in some way, the sunshine of this film for me. Even with all the uncomfortable events and ideas throughout the film, her character brings a little normalcy to a Texas suburb. And she's an example of the kind of person and neighbor I'd like to be.

1 comment:

  1. I dug this movie - it was definitely weird. My favorite part was when the neighbor started talking to the dad in arabic.

    ReplyDelete