Sunday, April 19, 2009

The S is for Super

I love long car rides by myself. Especially when I have my iPod on shuffle.

I'm completely aware that music, like smells, can take you back in time...but it never ceases to amaze me when a song takes me back to a very specific moment and I remember almost every detail. Tonight's journey...

Won't Let You Go
by Billy Mann
Flash to: 17-year-old Rebecca in my red Nissan Sentra sitting at a red light at Country Club Drive & North St., waiting to hear track number two. My ex-boyfriend had told me the night before that when he heard the song, all he could think of was me. And as I passed through the green light and the song made it through one verse, I realized for the first time how sad love can be. And mostly because I realized he had wanted ME to send HIM that song.

But then because iPod shuffle is so brilliant, the next song was:

Supersonic
by JJ Fad
The first beat of this song puts me back at Semoran Skateway at a Friday Night Lock In, shuffle skating around the rink, bouncing on my skates and stumbling through all the words before it got to my favorite part -- "...and the R is for Rap, so tell those nosy people just to stay the HELL back." I was punching my arms and cocking my head like a REAL rapper and I always felt soooo cool that I got to say a cuss word.

1 comment:

  1. wait... so you had to wait through track #1 to get to track #2 at that red light when you were 17? No fast forward button? What was it an 8 track? Are you sure you are 29 and not 103?
    hahahaha
    -Pete

    ReplyDelete